Upcoming Orienteering Level 1 Instructor Training Course
The next Orienteering Level 1 Instructor Training course will take place at the Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Mayo Campus, in Castlebar, on Thursday 29th February and Friday 1st March 2024.
Who should do it?
The course is aimed at candidates who will be introducing beginners to the sport of orienteering and assisting novices to improve their orienteering skills.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old at the time of being assessed for their award.
- Candidates must demonstrate an ability to perform the skills and techniques of orienteering skills level 3, as required to navigate a minimum of three orange or red courses.
- Have a valid safeguarding 1 certificate.
Trainee instructors will be able to:
- Understand the role of the orienteering instructor.
- Be able to recall the skills requirements for Levels 1 – 3 of the Orienteering Skills Awards.
- Teach the skills of orienteering skills level 1.
- Make use of terrain to assess the suitability of a venue for orienteering.
- Develop safe operating procedures for orienteering activities at a school, park, or woodland site and carry out a risk assessment for an orienteering venue.
- Design orienteering courses at technical difficulty 1 – 3.
- Utilise Purple Pen to design courses and activities suitable for teaching orienteering skills levels 1 – 3.
- Instruct effectively and provide individualised instruction and feedback.
- Use session planners for planning & delivering a training session.
For further information and to register please click here.