Senior Elite Squad Updates & Changes
Orienteering sport at the world level is an absolute top sport. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognises the sport that is not (yet) part of the Olympic Games. Inclusion in the Olympic program is one of the declared goals of the International Orienteering Federation (IOF).
World and European championships are held in all four orienteering sports. A world ranking list is kept. There is a World Cup for all orienteering disciplines, an unofficial European Cup is the counterpart to this.
In the dominant orienteering nations are several athletes who train at a professional level and can make a living from their sport, at least temporarily. Paid coaches are standard, not only for the national teams but also for many clubs in these nations.
In addition to the international title fights, the big Scandinavian club relays, such as the Tiomila, the 25-manna in Sweden, or the Jukola and the Venla in Finland, enjoy high prestige.
At international championships and the World Cup live reporting via TV and the Internet is now standard.
Orienteering sport in Ireland is currently far away from such conditions. The Irish athletes are currently not among the best in the world in orienteering sports.
Nevertheless, talented athletes and committed coaches take a lot of time and effort to assert themselves in the best possible way.
I am delighted to announce a new elite senior squad policy, guidelines, and application process for the competition year 2024.
And here are the soundbites of what’s new:
- Performance guidelines for athletes/coaches & guidelines for international competition results
- A new & comprehensive application form for anyone eligible wishing to be part of the senior team for the competition year cycle
- The application deadline for the senior squad team is October 30 annually.
- Senior squad team announcement in November annually.
- An annual publication of the season calendar in November which includes dates for training camps, test races, and relevant national and international competitions