Orienteering Instructor Level 1 Training Course
Venue: Rockbrook School, Edmonstown Road, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin
Date: Saturday/Sunday, May 6th and 7th, 2017
Cost €120 per person
The award is aimed at club orienteers, teachers, youth leaders and outdoor instructors in a position to introduce beginners to the sport.
Trainee instructors will:
- Be introduced to the Orienteering Ability Awards as a progressive scheme for developing orienteering skills in novice and beginner participants.
- Plan and deliver sessions that introduce the basic understanding of an orienteering map, including map colours and commonly used symbols.
- Explore a range of activities suitable for introducing of orienteering in the classroom, school grounds and in local parks and woods.
- Become familiar with equipment and skills necessary to organise orienteering activities.
- Learn to carry out risk assessments for orienteering activities and how to use course planning tools for organising simple orienteering competitions in private grounds, parks and small woods.
Candidates will be required to complete a logbook and a practical teaching assessment to qualify as an Orienteering Instructor.
Candidates will need to have a basic knowledge of the sport and some event experience prior to the training, ideally this should consist of a minimum of three public events on Orange or Red courses (this is an entry level adult standard).
Course will run from 9.15 – 4.30 each day.
Use the link below to book and pay for your place