During these challenging times we have some Zoom Refresher sessions for teachers. Fill in the contact form below if you are interested.
‘Ready to go Orienteering’ Teacher Training Course
This one day training course is aimed at teachers, youth workers or anyone wanting to introduce orienteering in a school setting. The goal of this course is to provide participants with the knowledge, understanding and practical ability to teach the basic skills of orienteering in an enjoyable and rewarding way.
- To understand the sport of orienteering and how to deliver it in a fun and exciting way.
- To be able to produce learning programmes, which show progression through desktop, room, hall and enclosed sites such as schools or small parks.
- To acquire and be able to deliver the following fundamental skills: map as a bird’s eye view, importance of north, map orientation, keeping in contact with the map and “thumbing” and use of map colours and commonly used symbols.
- To be able to plan and deliver sessions which meet IOA Orienteering safety guidelines.
- To be able to plan and deliver simple competitions.
- To be aware of the opportunities for young people and others to participate in the sport of orienteering.
Resources for Orienteering Games and Activities
There are some great Orienteering Activities which you can use now to get your students started. Orienteering Activities
Download pdf of Map Colours here
Download printable controls here
Download printable control cards here