Orienteering for Teachers
Course Planning/Purple Pen Training: This online course will guide you through Purple Pen software and will include course planning tips and techniques to design your own orienteering courses. This course assumes you have already attended a Ready to Go Orienteering course. Book and Pay at the link below;
|Type||Date, Time, Duration|
|Course Planning/Purple Pen||Thursday 22nd Sept 2022 – 11am|
|Course Planning /Purple Pen||Monday 24th Oct 2022 – 4.30pm|
|Course Planning /Purple Pen||Wednesday 16th Nov 2022 – 11am|
|Course Planning/Purple Pen||Wednesday 11th Jan 2023 – 4.30pm|
|Course Planning /Purple Pen||Thursday 16th Feb 2023 at 4.30pm|
|Course Planning /Purple Pen||Tuesday 28th March 2023 at 11am|
|Course Planning /Purple Pen||Wednesday 3rd May 2023 at 4.30pm|
‘Ready to go Orienteering’ Training Course
This one day training course is aimed at teachers, youth leaders or anyone wanting to introduce orienteering in a school setting. The goal of this course is to provide participants with the knowledge, understanding and practical ability to teach the basic skills of orienteering in an enjoyable and rewarding way.
- To understand the sport of orienteering and how to deliver it in a fun and exciting way.
- To be able to produce learning programmes, which show progression through desktop, room, hall and enclosed sites such as schools or small parks.
- To acquire and be able to deliver the following fundamental skills: map as a bird’s eye view, importance of north, map orientation, keeping in contact with the map and “thumbing” and use of map colours and commonly used symbols.
- To be able to plan and deliver sessions which meet IOA Orienteering safety guidelines.
- To be able to plan and deliver simple competitions.
- To be aware of the opportunities for young people and others to participate in the sport of orienteering.
Book and Pay for Ready to go Orienteering Teacher Training at the link below.
Resources for Orienteering Games and Activities
There are some great Orienteering Activities which you can use now to get your students started. Orienteering Activities
Download pdf of Map Colours here
Download printable controls here
Download printable control cards here
Demonstration Videos for some of the Orienteering activities are here