Orienteering Instructor Course (Level 1)
The Level 1 Basic Orienteering Instructor award is aimed at club orienteers, youth leaders and outdoor pursuits instructors that are interested in introducing people to the sport of orienteering. This course is certified by Sport Ireland Coaching.
Upcoming Level 1 Basic Instructor Course
|4th & 5th November 2023||Midleton, Co.Cork||Register here||€70/140||The 50% discount applies to Orienteering Ireland Club members|
Upon completion of the training course, candidates will be required to log teaching hours and complete a practical teaching assessment to qualify as an Orienteering Ireland Level 1 Orienteering Instructor.
Candidates should have a basic knowledge of the sport, including some event experience. Ideally this should consist of a minimum of three orange or red courses.
During the training course trainee instructors will:
- Explore a range of activities suitable for the introduction of orienteering in the classroom, school grounds and in local parks and woods.
- Plan and deliver sessions that develop basic understanding of orienteering skills & navigation techniques.
- Be introduced to the Orienteering Ireland Orienteering Ability Awards as a progressive scheme for the advancement of skills in novice and beginner participants.
- Become familiar with equipment and skills necessary to organise orienteering activities.
- Learn to carry out risk assessments and use these in conjunction with the orienteering venue terrain guide.
- Use course planning tools to organise simple orienteering activities in private grounds, parks and small woods.
In order to be put forward for Sport Ireland Coaching accreditation for the Orienteering Instructor Award you will need to:
- Complete a practical teaching assessment
- Hold a Valid Safeguarding 1 Certification
- Hold a Valid First Aid Qualification. Instructors need to have a valid first aid qualification from a recognised provider. The first aid training course should be in the order of 16 hours with an element of assessment. REC 2 is one qualification that is acceptable but Orienteering Ireland will accept awards from other recognised bodies. The single day sports first aid courses are not suitable as they are not sufficient. Order of Malta, St John’s Ambulance and others all run awards that may be suitable.
- If you are interested in attending an instructor course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org