Orienteering Instructor Course (Level 1)
The Level 1 Basic Orienteering Instructor award is aimed at club orienteers, youth leaders and outdoor pursuits instructors that are interested in introducing people to the sport of orienteering. This course is certified by Coaching Ireland.
Upcoming Level 1 Basic Instructor Courses
|1st & 2nd April 2023||Dublin||Register here||€140||There are discounts for Club Members|
|4th & 5th November 2023||Dublin||Register here||€140||There are discounts for Club Members|
Upon completion of the training course, candidates will be required to log teaching hours and complete a practical teaching assessment to qualify as an Orienteering Ireland Level 1 Orienteering Instructor.
Candidates should have a basic knowledge of the sport, including some event experience, ideally this should consist of a minimum of three public events on Orange or Red courses.
During the training course trainee instructors will:
- Explore a range of activities suitable for the introduction of orienteering in the classroom, school grounds and in local parks and woods.
- Plan and deliver sessions that develop basic understanding of orienteering skills & navigation techniques.
- Be introduced to the Orienteering Ireland Orienteering Ability Awards as a progressive scheme for the advancement of skills in novice and beginner participants.
- Become familiar with equipment and skills necessary to organise orienteering activities.
- Learn to carry out risk assessments and use these in conjunction with the orienteering venue terrain guide.
- Use course planning tools to organise simple orienteering activities in private grounds, parks and small woods.