Two Orienteering Instructor Training courses will take place in November 2017.
Baltinglass OETC, Co. Wicklow – 2nd/3rd (Thurs/Fri) November 2017.
Kinsale OEC, Co. Cork – 11th/12th (Sat/Sun) November 2017.
The award is aimed at club orienteers, teachers, youth leaders and outdoor instructors in a position to introduce beginners to the sport.
Trainee instructors will:
- Be introduced to the Orienteering Ability Awards as a progressive scheme for developing orienteering skills in novice and beginner participants.
- Plan and deliver sessions that introduce the basic understanding of an orienteering map, including map colours and commonly used symbols.
- Explore a range of activities suitable for introducing of orienteering in the classroom, school grounds and in local parks and woods.
- Become familiar with equipment and skills necessary to organise orienteering activities.
- Learn to carry out risk assessments for orienteering activities and how to use course planning tools for organising simple orienteering competitions in private grounds, parks and small woods.
- Candidates will be required to complete a logbook and a practical teaching assessment to qualify as an Orienteering Instructor.
Candidates will need to have a basic knowledge of the sport and some event experience prior to the training, ideally this should consist of a minimum of three public events on Orange or Red courses (this is an entry level adult standard).
Booking: Booking is through Kinsale and Baltinglass OEC