The course takes place over 2 days, Friday and Saturday, the course will be completely outdoors. It will run from 9am until 5pm. It is ideal for orienteers who want to instruct others in the sport and for those working in Outdoor Education. Scout Leaders may also find this useful.
More Details and a booking link is at Instructor Training
Cost: €140 per person
Candidates must have a basic knowledge of the sport, including some event experience, ideally this should consist of a minimum of three public events on Orange or Red courses. The award is aimed at club orienteers, teachers, youth leaders and outdoor pursuits instructors that are interested in introducing people to the sport of orienteering.
During the course trainee instructors will:
- Explore a range of activities suitable for the introduction of orienteering in the classroom, school grounds and in local parks and woods.
- Plan and deliver sessions that develop basic understanding of orienteering skills & navigation techniques.
- Be introduced to the IOA Orienteering Ability Awards as a progressive scheme for the advancement of skills in novice and beginner participants.
- Become familiar with equipment and skills necessary to organise orienteering activities.
- Learn to carry out risk assessments and use these in conjunction with the orienteering venue terrain guide.
- Use course planning tools to organise simple orienteering activities in private grounds, parks and small woods.
After completing their training, candidates will be required to log teaching hours and complete a practical teaching assessment to qualify as an IOA Orienteering Instructor.