Forum

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leinster League / No. 3 - Bull Island 10th March 2019
Anna
Post Leinster League / No. 3 - Bull Island 10th March 2019
on: March 3, 2019, 15:06

Hi All,

Next Sunday Ajax is orgaising the Leinster League event in Bull Island. Please see the details below or on our website (http://ajaxoc.blogspirit.com/).

Hope to see you there!

Event Location: The next Leinster League event will be held on Sunday 10 March 2019 on Bull Island, Dublin. (Grid Reference: O 234 370).
Event Directions and Parking: Signposted from the coast road (James Larkin Road). Parking, registration, start and finish are near the interpretive center at the end of the causeway.

Terrain:
Grass-covered sand dunes with many small paths, isolated trees and man-made features. Marshes are a little wet in places.

Map:
Maps are printed on water resistant material at a scale of 1:5,000 for all courses. The map shows the island in two sections laid out side-by-side on an A3 sheet. Contour interval is 2.5 meters. Power lines are not displayed and the magnetic grid lines run 45 degrees to the edge of the map. The Brown course uses a modified map with only contour and marsh detail displayed. Control descriptions for all courses will be available at registration and will also be printed on the map. The Yellow course has a taped route on one leg.

Registration and Entry Fees:
Enter at the event. If you are new to orienteering please let the organisers know and they will show you what to do.
Adult: €8
Junior/Full-time Student/OAP/Concession: €5
Family: €20
There will be a €2 surcharge for anyone not already a member of an orienteering club. The surcharge will be waived if the participant registers with Ajax Orienteers at the event. (Membership is free for the first year).

Timing:
SportIdent (SI) timing will be used. SI cards are available for hire at event registration for €2. You must download your SI card after orienteering, whether you complete the course or not. Otherwise we will not know if you have finished.
Start-times: 11:00 – 13:00.
Courses close: 15:00.

Event Officials: 

Controller: Donal Wickham
Planner: Aonghus O’Cleirigh

Course Details:

Brown – 8.8 k, 30 controls, (contours/marsh only)
Blue - 8.3 k, 29 controls
Green – 5.1 k, 29 controls
Light Green – 3.7 k, 23 controls
Red – 3.7 k, 28 controls
Orange - 2.5 k, 21 controls
Yellow - 1.6 k, 15 controls

Important:
Bull Island is an EU designated Special Area of Conservation. Please do not cause damage or litter.  Thanks to Dublin City Council for granting permission to hold the event.

Anna
Post Re: Leinster League / No. 3 - Bull Island 10th March 2019
on: March 3, 2019, 20:13

Additional Info:

Ajax is going eco friendly! Please do something for the planet and take your reusable mug with you! All refreshments, as always, will be available on us!

See you there!

Anna
on: March 10, 2019, 20:56

Many thanks to all orienteers who came for the Bull Island event today! 
It was mostly sunny, very windy and in the end we got a reall blizzard too!
Hope that everyone enjoyed it.

Speciall thanks to those who helped collect controlls (and got caught by bad weather)- guys you are great!

It came to our attention, that one of the points on the Blue course had wrong code on the control descriptions you got from us at the reqistration. Apologies for that.

We found two items - one is an envelope with a description and a second one is a pair of purple glasses in black case. Should you wish to have any of the items back, please email me on aiwmusial@gmail.com.

See you on the next event!

l0stinthew-
oods
Administrator
on: March 10, 2019, 22:11

Hi Anna, Donal, Aonghus & all the Ajax crew.

For all of my run the sun shone and the map & course were brilliant.... I was thinking about people collecting controls as I drove home & watched the temperature gauge drop about 5 degrees!! 

Thank you all so much, a fantastic event.

John R
Beginner
on: March 10, 2019, 23:25

A super event indeed and too right about that change in the weather (sorry I couldn\'t help with the control collection Anna, but I was on strict orders to get back for the match). Great day out and lovely to see such a good turnout, justifying even more the effort on the part of all. Thanks again Ajax.

PF
on: March 11, 2019, 09:32

It was great to experience good planning on a familiar area. Subtle changes to a higher tech control
meant staying awake and was excellent training for anyone moving up to full tech. standard. Well done
Aonghus , Donal & Anna

ColmM
Beginner
on: March 11, 2019, 14:10

Yes, thank you very much to all in AJAX, we were also in our car feeling sorry for those collecting controls, well done, very unfortunate timing!
Thoroughly enjoyed the event, haven\'t run on Bull Island for a while and it was a pleasure to be back in the dunes.
Thank you

ColmM
Beginner
on: March 12, 2019, 10:25

I see that there has been some issue with Splitsbrowser as well unfortunately. I\'m a big fan of Splitsbrowser, so I\'ve uploaded the results to attackpoint at the following link: https://attackpoint.org/eventdetail.jsp/event_44136
You can find a graphical interpretation of the results similar to Splitsbrowser by choosing your course at the top, and then clicking \"Show Graph\". It is not as pretty as Splitsbrowser, and lacks some of the functionality, but the basics are there for any who wish. 

David-
Masterson
Pro
on: March 12, 2019, 10:35

Thanks Colm - agree, splits are nice!

Thanks for a great event, enjoyed by all - the weather was so (unexpectedly) good early on that I had to swing by the start/finish mid-course to ditch all my layers - damn you sun!

Pages: [1]

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.
Orienteering in Ireland
  • Orienteering Ireland
    Irish Sport HQ
    Blanchardstown
    D15 DY62
    Ireland
  • fixtures@orienteering.ie
  • info@orienteering.ie