IOC 2023 - Technical (Computers) After-Party

13 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@davema)
Reputable Member

The interweb tells me:

• If you have the finish SIAC enabled, either a normal or contactless punch should turn off the SIAC on your finger.
  • However, contactless punching will not leave a record in the unit, so it can't be interrogated afterwards (should you wish to check finishers)
  • You can dedicate an SI box to be a SIAC-OFF unit using SIConfig+, and have that available for use at download
  • Download unit will only turn off SIACs if using SITiming (like Angus said) - its the software that does it, not the unit.
Topic starter
(@davema)
Reputable Member

I was looking in the Ór documentation to see how does one properly replace a control and I came across this option in the "Edit Control" dialog which might have saved me a lot of grief if it does what I think it does:

"Ignore Sometimes the time on a control unit will get out of synch with the rest. This can cause competitors times to be calculated incorrectly. If this happens, tick this option and the control's time will not affect the results. Note: If the control is used on a course, competitors will still need to punch the control."

I'll see if i can find a backup of the event on Sunday from before i fixed all the data, and see if it would have fixed the sync issue easily.

Dave

Topic starter
(@davema)
Reputable Member

That worked. Just loaded up a backup with all the times broken, ticked the ignore box on controls 34,210 and 224 and all looked well again. Great result, just 48 hours too late. If you excuse, i have to go cry a bit.

Dave

1 Reply
Admin
(@martin)

@davema Of course, doing that may have an adverse impact on splits and Routegadget.  But it would have saved you a lot of bother on the day.

Admin
(@martin)

Thanks for writing that up Dave - I'm sure it will be helpful for future IOCs.  I had started to write a similar report last year but ran out of steam.  A few comments:

Downloading Start box:  When you download punches from a (start) box, Ór adds then to the existing list of punches downloaded.  So, there is no need to have a single box.  Just read them all in, one at a time.

Bad time from SI box:  Oh, I see you found that option.

Road Crossing:  Yeah, this is an issue from the start.  In my many years orienteering, I only ever had one untimed road crossing so this was not an important feature for me.  I added this mainly to help with badly misplaced controls.  I'll take another look - maybe I could use control numbers instead of codes or only check for the second code after the first has been used.

As for the relay, I am a big fan of pre-assigned SI cards as it removes a whole load of opportunities for FU.  However, especially with SI Air, this practice is on the way out.  I think it may be useful to start a separate thread to cover extra issues due to relays that may not be obvious to the casual observer.  There are lots of pitfalls.

As for the runner who ran twice with the same SI card.  Ór will allow a card to be used multiple times in a race.  It's not something I encourage as I feel it takes away some of the margin for error and it does not get tested as much as everything else.  On the Entries tab, double click the "second" runner to edit him.  Change the SI number to one you want to reuse and click OK.  Ór will give you a warning.  Click OK and Ór will allocate the number appended with a letter "a".  When the card is downloaded for the second time, Ór will match the new download with the "a" card.

Did you use Live Results for the relay?

Martin

2 Replies
(@davema)

Reputable Member

@martin Yeah, relay live results worked fine - no issues there.

The problem with multiple check boxes was what happened on the first day - i was initially given "all" the check boxes, but it turned out there was a fourth box in someones pocket with a small number of punches on it, so we nearly missed a few runners that were still out in the forest at the end. Its less of a technical issue, and more of a procedure one - by insisting a specific box is used for that specific purpose, the people running the start understand the importance of getting every runner to punch it.

With the SI card used twice - I normally don't have an issue with this feature and we use it all the time - at a Sunday event, its not unusual for a rental card be reused by a different runner, and the suffix system allows that to happen with very little interaction required.

In the specific relay instance, the sequence was:

1) Runner runs normal allocated first leg that has been already put into Ór - downloads, no issues

2) Runner finds out a third leg is missing, and decides to run a second time - no-one tells the download guy, so its not pre-entered into Ór

3) Runner arrives at download a second time - hes not the expected third leg runner, so he goes into extra downloads

4) I didn't seem to be able to then manually add that extra download to the team in place of the expected third leg runner - I would type in the SI into the third leg in the "edit team" dialog, but it just ignored it - it just was stuck as an extra download.

5) This didnt happen if it was an SI card that was not the expected value, but hadnt been used before - i could happily add those guys into a team post-download.

One the road crossing, I guess the simplest thing would be to get the user to enter both the start and end control, but i understand that from a code point of view, that might be hard to implement - I don't know how its currently done, so only you would know what way it might feasibly work.

Dave

Admin
(@martin)

@davema I think your problem here may have been trying to change the SI number in the Team dialog - this would not have been a use case that I would have anticipated/bothered to handle.  It should be possible to do it in the Competitor Dialog from the Entries table.  The extra download should disappear once you update the competitor.

I've had a look at the road crossing code and it shouldn't be too hard to fix this.

Page 2 / 2
Share:
Orienteering in Ireland
Orienteering Ireland, Irish Sport HQ, Blanchardstown
D15 DY62, Ireland