Forum

Dublin by Night No....

Notifications
Clear all

Dublin by Night No. 4 Sat 26th Jan Cronykeery Ashford Co. Wicklow.

8 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@angus)
Honorable Member

The Dublin by night series continues this Saturday evening 26th Jan near Ashford Co. Wicklow. The location is the Tyner family farm 5 mins from junction 16 on the M11. If travelling from the south get off at Junction 15.

Full details along with online entry on the fixtures page.
https://www.orienteering.ie/fixtures/cronykeery-2/

Specific notes I am repeating here.
In addition to the 2 usual technical courses, a novice course is on offer. This follows line features.

Tivon has/is planning

There is no ambient lighting in rural wicklow, so a torch to light your way is essential. Ground conditions are soft and shoes with grip are needed.

Juniors (U16) with experience can participate unaccompanied provided they carry a whistle.

The access road goes up the middle of the competition area. There are likely to be participants on the road. There will be reminder caution runner signs.

Livestock will be confined to one field which is marked out of bounds. Some fences are marked as uncrossable with a purple line. These are sheep wire with electrified wire above. There is one mandatory crossing point on the long course. Otherwise use the gates which will be opened. 

7 Replies
Admin
(@l0stinthewoods)

Are there other 'normal' fences (no wires, no electric, no sheep, can be climbed over)? Or just no climbing over any fences?

Let us know,

1 Reply
(@angus)

Honorable Member

@l0stinthewoods There are plenty of other fences, in various states of disrepair. Practically all are low enough to step over, or ruined enough to go through. Also with recent winds, I can't rule out some unmapped rootstocks. Map was updated today.

Topic starter
(@angus)
Honorable Member

Also a kind gentleman informed me that the date should be 27th. Saturday evening.

Topic starter
(@angus)
Honorable Member

Entries for the night O near Ashford close this morning, and Donadea entries close today as well.

Topic starter
(@angus)
Honorable Member

Wow, all done and dusted.

Final results are up, which include a fixed routegadget file. Apologies to those that already made the effort to do their route.

I replaced the unit for the last control and changed the visible number but didn't change the coded number, so it differed and caused problems.

Certainly many of you thought it was well worth the effort to escape the lights of Dublin to venture into the dark of Wicklow. 

For next time I  am considering selling "I survived Cronykeery" T-shirts.

Special thanks to Tivon for his first time event planning. I didn't appreciate how challenging it would be. I know the place so well that it took only an hour to get the controls in and I didn't use compass and looked at map only once, to help find the knoll (no. 9) on the long course!

Night O continues on the 10th Feb at Rivervalley near Swords and then the final event on The Curragh (replace bramble with gorse...) on 17th Feb. There doesn't appear to be a night event next weekend

Page 1 / 2
Share:
Orienteering in Ireland
  • Orienteering Ireland
    Irish Sport HQ
    Blanchardstown
    D15 DY62
    Ireland
  • fixtures@orienteering.ie
  • info@orienteering.ie