Orienteering Ireland Annual Award Scheme
Orienteering Ireland presents three annual awards. These awards are of equal status and reflect the Irish orienteering community’s recognition of an individual’s contribution to the sport.
Silva Trophy: for the development of orienteering – achieving something that will grow the sport. Some examples are: a new map; a new technology; bringing orienteering to a new part of the country; introducing a new group to the sport; revitalising a neglected area of the sport; enhancing the social aspects of the sport.
- Once five years have passed a person is again eligible to win an award that they have won before
- Serving Orienteering Ireland committee members cannot receive the Silva Trophy or Silva Award, but they can receive the Mactire Trophy
- must be from an Orienteering Ireland affiliated club or a member of an Orienteering Ireland affiliated club and they do not need to be seconded
- must contain a short description of why the nominee should receive the award – typically this will be two or three sentences.
- should indicate if the person was nominated unsuccessfully in a previous year
- must clearly state which of the three awards the nomination is for
- must be submitted by the closing date
- should be for an individual – group nominations are discouraged
- will be published on orienteering.ie in advance of the award ceremony
- cannot be from a current Judge or from a current member of the Orienteering Ireland executive committee
- the previous year’s award winners will form a committee with three equal votes and will select the winners of this year’s three awards
- if committee members are unavailable then the Orienteering Ireland chairman will nominate alternative members
- the judges’ decision is final
- if the judges feel that a nominee has been put forward for an incorrect category then they can re-assign the nomination to any other category
- group awards are discouraged – the judges should strive to select individual winners
- if there are no nominations, or if the Judges feel that the nominees are not of the required standard, then an award may not be given.
- will be publicised on orienteering.ie and elsewhere
- should be given out at the AGM of Orienteering Ireland, unless there is a good logistical reason for choosing another occasion
- will be kept safe by the winners and returned to Orienteering Ireland administrative assistant in good time for the next award ceremony.
The Current holders are : (announced at AGM 2011)
Silva Trophy: The Long Family (AJAX)
Mactire Trophy: Niamh Corbett (CorkO)
Silva Award: Rory Costello (KerryO)
A list of previous winners can be viewed at Orienteering Ireland Annual Awards